Monday, September 18

Odd Things About Rep. Rinks' 2006 Filings


I noticed that one of the comments on one of the political blogs was that they didn’t spot anything highly odd in Rep. Rinks' 2006 campaign expenditures reports. That is in line with the Registry view, that they all look alike after a while.

Probably because I haven’t seen a lot of these reports, except Rinks, which I have damn near memorized, I really didn’t have a lot of practical experience in the details of the oversight of the campaign disclosure laws.
But, I have taken the time, before and after I filed the complaint, to make a through study and analyses of the statutes and everything else I could get my hands on. Filled up a huge Election Finance research file.

Ain’t being kinda retired GREAT. Oh, yah!

I digress, other odd things about Randy’s 2006 campaign expenditures. The following are a few of the odd things that I spotted, from an academic standpoint. First let me make the point that the new and improved ‘Comprehensive Governmental Ethics Reform Act of 2006" (just kidding about the new and improved part) added in T.C.A. 2-10-107(a)(2)(B) . . ., and the purpose thereof which shall clearly identify that it is an allowable expenditure under 2-10-114"

One of the best ones,again, is NASHVILLE CITY CLUB - $439.87 - FOR DUES / SUBSCRIPTIONS. Say what? I’d like to see that receipt, please. The ammended 2-10-114(b)(2) (those pesky ‘specifically prohibited’ things)(F) says ‘Dues, fees, or gratuities at a country club, health club, or recreational facility, unless they are part of a specific fund raising event that takes place on the organization’s premises;’ A nightclub may fall under the umbrella of a ‘recreational’ facility, ya think. Para. (H) covers ‘or other form of entertainment’ unless it is an expense associated with a legitimate campaign or officeholder activity.

How about that DONATION of $500.00 to LOVE, SALLY, CLEVELAND, TN (Not 71st Dist.)? Campaign or officeholder activity?

Then of course we have GIFTS of $174.46 to HICKORY FARMS and $424.31 FOR FLOWERS to SAVANNAH FLORIST.

It really makes me wonder when I find that one of the most successful restaurant in Hardin County, named SHAWS RESTAURANT, was the beneficiary of a $238.95 DONATION from Rep. Rinks. Again, would that be a campaign or officeholder activity?

You can’t tell from the ‘disclosure’ statement, but, don’t you just have to wonder why Rinks RETURNED CONTRIBUTIONS’ to Mr. JOHNSON, GARY of MORRISTOWN, TN?
There was that $1,500.00 Monetary Contribution For the November 2006 General election on January 19, 2005. It must have taken them that long to figure out that the contribution was problematical with a limitations issue or maybe he just wanted SOME of his money back. Go figure.
Hay, that is just the First Quarter 2006 Reports for the 2006 election cycle's which began right after the last election, but with the new disclosure statements and more specific staturoy disclosure requirements.
You know, I have voted for Randy for the last 10 year and I basically like and appreciate him. He deserves the opportunity to defend on not defend any of his actions that he chooses, but he should also address my concerns if a forthright and direct way.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.
Uncle Ted

No comments: